Friday 12 October 2012

Sweet Memories.......



During recent Hari Raya Aidilfitri, my childhood friend who is also our neighbour “Adik” came over.  She reminded me of the incident years back when she received a call. Apparently, it was for me. Both of us share the same Sir name, “Sani” and thus this person who called thought the house number that was found from the yellow pages was mine (I can still remember how thick the phone directory was).  That was truly a sweet memory, and I never thought ‘Adik” still remember.......It was during our last semester break from Uitm and since then, arwah Hanif  frequently contacted me (after getting the correct number). We shared many stories mostly about our future study plans not realising that he had other agenda too.

Anyway, ten days after the wedding day I followed him back to London. He travelled to and fro to Leceister for classes. As for me, I started to join JPA London, Bryanston Square as a part time employee in the accounts department. Alhamdulillah, nine months later in January 1995 I gave birth to our first baby, Husna Syakira (she prefers to be called ‘Syakira”) in St. Thomas’ Hospital, a public hospital. It was a sweet memory since the room was opposite the Big Ben and I could see the time precisely.  The experience was awesome. . Although admitted in the evening and delivered on the next day, but I was not left unattended by the midwife even for a second.  Every single progress was reported as though she was writing a very, very long essay.  I was treated very well that they offered me various types of painkillers, from epidurals to gas just to ensure I was comfortable. Anyway, I rejected all. It was all free of charge since we registered with NHS. Felt very thankful because my cousin experienced it differently in Malaysia, but supposed now is different and our public hospitals are better, we hope so.

Exactly after the confinement period, we travelled all the way from London to Edinburgh with my parents. Thanks to Fairuz and friends for allowing us to stay a night at your place. It was winter but a great experience to Mak and Abah.




Syakira was two months old when my parents went back to Malaysia and I resumed to work. Every morning, from Eleplant & Castle and to Buckingham Palace route arwah and baby sent me to Bryanston Square and fetched  in the evening. It was our daily routine, but only for five days a week. There was one time when he was in the midst of completing his final dissertation, he did it at home while babysitting Syakira.




London, UK is very common to Malaysians. Almost every week or month we had visitors (friends, relatives, uncles and as for En. Khalil, he travelled as though London was just kilometres away from Uitm, Shah Alam). We were their loyal tour guides to Hyde Park and St. James Park, Madame Tussauds,  Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, and of course Oxford Street for shopping!  At one time we even travelled to the Lake District with rice cooker and rendang under Syakira’s stroller. I hope Ogy still remember....



Borough Road, Elephant and Castle in London is very nostalgic and meant a lot to both of us. We started our life experiences as students, close friends, husband and wife, mama and papa, employees and shared everything, just the two of us independently.  I missed the moment, I really do.... That was why he was so excited to plan for the kids especially Syakira to visit her ‘kampung’ one day. Syakira, life is full with sacrifices and let the memories remain although Papa has gone forever. To my children, please allow us to be proud of you all.............

2 comments: